Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Nifty Nailed It



Enough of these silly men in coats - we all know we want to read about our beloved thrifty sewing!


One of the true joys of writing a blog like this is connecting with like-minded people, and I've found a wonderful community with all of you. There is a group in Seattle that really knocks my socks off. I don't blog nearly as often as they do and I am not nearly as prolific as they are, but their inspiration and kindred-spirited-ness is truly wonderful.


Check out Nifty's recent post about Falling in Love with sewing.



Oddly, I've been doing the same thing recently. With little time to prepare a project, i've just been carrying around a bag of small small scraps and playing. I take along pins and pin them together. When I get a few minutes, I run to the sewing machine and stitch together a pile of the little pieced parts. I scratch my head and wonder what the heck I am doing, where am i going with them. I'm not sure. But in the meantime, i'm having so much fun!


I've added a few photos of them (under construction) here. None of them is larger than 5" square. You'll find a little bit of everything in these blocks: shared current fabrics, vintage pieces, and of course some from old shirts.



I just stumbled onto one of my favorite quotes of all time, which sums this up nicely:


To be nobody but myself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. -E.E. Cummings, poet (1894-1962)

                                            

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Deb! You're so right about the kindred-spiritness that we share across the miles, and yet so close in blog land. Do I see a trip to Seattle in your future? Hope so! I love your little scrap blocks. I always think of your "no scrap too small" idea when I think about tossing those precious small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all that pattern & texture!
    Years ago I used the 'wrong' side of a fabric in a quilt & a friend said, "what possessed you to do that!"
    I, too, love NiftyQuilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun bits. yes, Nifty is amazingly talented and I wish I had a group like the Rebels near me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing makes me happier than seeing scraps from my ongoing periwinkle and yellow project incorporated into your lively blocks! Kathe

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your scraps, Kathe Dougherty ... almost as much as your company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to read this post today. Nothing like being in the moment and not worry about what comes next. Your scrappy blocks are fun. LeeAnn is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful scrappy blocks. And truly a great quote! Sometimes it is so freeing just to sew and sew, randomly, using up those precious odd bits.

    ReplyDelete